The other day, I happened to call 2 guys back to back who mentioned the exact same problem. Both guys were Vice Presidents of Engineering over teams of about a dozen Engineers across several disciplines. They both had attempted a 2 pronged approach to Engineering simulation. After good previous experiences with Expert CAE users running high-end FEA packages, they had tried to expand the usage of “easy” or “upfront” CAE tools with their less specialized, multi-tasking, front-line Engineers.
The upfront tools weren’t being used, and they were both frustrated. I wasn’t specifically calling these guys about CAE tools, but I told them about my articles on the subject… and they asked for some links. I started looking back in my archives and was surprised to see I had almost 40 articles in the “Implementing Upfront CAE category” of this blog!
That’s a lot to take in all at once. Plus, I realized that the blog software only shows 10 articles at a time. Some people may not notice the “next page” link at the bottom of a page. So, here is a quick, handy guide to my best articles on getting the most from Upfront CFD & FEA:
Top 5 “Must Read” Articles
- If it ain’t in your process, it ain’t getting done
- 1 vs 100: the key to upfront CAE success
- Double the return on your FEA & CFD investments… for free
- Upfront CFD: easy to use, but often hard to implement
- The human side of a CAE software investment
14 “Should Read” Articles
- Upfront CAE doesn’t work in the hall
- Are screwy CAD models ruining your upfront CFD ROI?
- It’s the CAD, stupid
- Direct modeling: magnetic JENGA in outer space
- Peer training: not the best idea for upfront CAE
- Beware the upfront CFD non-specialist specialist
- KISS upfront CFD
- Kick-start your upfront CFD ROI
- Are you stuck in the CAE bottleneck?
- Is there manure in your air mover?
- If you buy it, make sure someone owns it.
- The numbers side of a CAE software investment
- The best CAE strategy when using old computers
- Upfront CAE might take a little effort
10 “Pretty Good” Articles
- Build internal CFD expertise with Technology Transfers
- Sometimes you don’t have the luxury of “upfront” CFD
- What’s the industry standard CAD/CFD license ratio?
- Big or small, the same upfront issues face all
- Upfront CFD vs Downback CFD
- The what and when of upfront CFD training
- Make your testing group demand upfront CFD usage
- Get specific with your upfront CFD
- What are you really doing out back in the lab?
- Man-hours cost more than CPU-hours
8 “Decent or Just-So-So” Articles
- Ensure the upfront CAE ROI with a simple “attaboy”
- You lose money every time the shop door opens
- Deep thoughts at 30,000 feet
- Upfront CFD: the antidote for engineering apathy
- Look for the signs of upfront CFD success
- Upfront CFD ownership is worthless.
- Who owns gumption?
- The one about the fat man who bought a treadmill